Friday, July 22, 2011

A Simple Path

“Nothing is more honorable than a grateful heart.” ~ Seneca

Mary Beth and I enjoyed a rare mid-week date last night. The typical Wednesday night is spent shuttling Emily to and from activities, preparing dinner, and making sure homework is finished. But summer’s slower pace found us home, alone, and without the usual chores to do.
With our younger daughter at summer camp, we had time to do as we pleased. My wife and I selected an Italian café where we sat at a high-top table. We shared a Caesar salad and sipped Peroni beer while waiting for our entrees to arrive.
Mary Beth and I chatted about Caitlin’s move to Miami. We both agreed Brandon’s recent visit home was a particularly pleasant one and we started planning Andrew’s return to college.
For a few moments on a Wednesday night, my wife and I took a break from the ordinary to celebrate the extraordinary life we share.
After dinner, we stopped by the new Trader’s Joe. The low-priced specialty grocery store recently opened in our neighbor and we were eager to see what the fuss was all about.
Walking through the aisles of organically-grown broccoli and low sodium chicken pasta soup, we held hands just like we did 27 years ago when our appetites where focused on foods a little less healthy. We settled on frozen mint peas and 2% milk before leaving the store.
Driving home I found my hand still connected to Mary Beth’s. The splendor of our four children, my wife’s thriving practice and the satisfaction of my recent promotion made the evening, on a not-to-so typical Wednesday night, extraordinary.
Sometimes the simple path to an extraordinary life is taking the time to recognize exactly what you have – and then appreciating every moment of it.
Summer will be ending soon. The shuttle service will be back in action and the ordinary Wednesday night’s will return. And on those Wednesday nights when we’re checking homework or checking in with our other children, I will gratefully enjoy every moment because I know we have a life that is extraordinary – a life that is brighter than diamonds.

What is A Simple Path?

This post is in A Simple Path, a series of short pieces inspired by my own life experiences. Each post is a simple path to experiencing something wonderful: maybe seeing life from a different perspective, or celebrating its beauty. Click here to read all posts in the series.
Alex Blackwell
The BridgeMaker Founder