Tuesday, May 26, 2009

EQ For Everybody

by Steve Hein

Below are links to my complete 1996 book. I decided to put the whole book on line because I believe onte we need now in the world is more free sharing of ideas and information, and less creation and accumulation of things and money.

Please note that when I wrote this book I was basing my concept of emotional intelligence on the 1995 book by Goleman. I now believe Goleman himself doesn't really understand what EI is, although he did get many people in the world thinking about it, including me. Now I have my own definition of emotional intelligence:

Emotional intelligence is the innate potential to feel, use, communicate, recognize, remember, describe, identify, learn from, manage, understand and explain emotions.

One of the main differences between my idea of EI and that of most others is my emphasis on it being an innate potential we are born with. This potential can then either be develloped in healthy ways over our lives, or in unhealthy ways. As far as the term "EQ" is concerned, I don't use it much in my writing now. But for the purposes of this book, I suggest you think of what I have written as a combination of

1) a high level of development of one's innate emotional intelligence,

2) a set of learned practical emotional skills

Steve Hein -- Sept. 2000

April 2006 Note - I made a few more corrections and clarifications to Chapter 1 (in grey text)..


Table of Contents

Front Cover, Dedication, Acknowledgements, etc.

Chapter 1 - Introduction and Background
Chapter 2 - The B.A.R.E. Essentials
Chapter 3 - Emotional Literacy
Chapter 4 - EQ and Self-Esteem
Chapter 5 - Validation and Invalidation
Chapter 6 - EQ and Happiness
Chapter 7 - Using Your Emotions to Set and Achieve Your Goals
Chapter 8 - The Positive Value of Negative Feelings
Chapter 9 - Relationships
Chapter 10 - Parenting
Chapter 11 - Signs of High & Low EQ
Chapter 12 - How To Raise Your EQ


EQ For Everybody

Copyright 1996 Steve Hein
Limited First Edition
Copyright Notice - All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced without written permission from the author, except for brief quotations in a review.

Library of Congress CIP Number 96-095131 ISBN 0-9655393-0-X

Aristotle Press, Clearwater Florida