These are the Five Contemplations by Thich Nhat Hanh, which are said before meals. The practice of reciting these contemplations before eating is a way to foster mindful eating, and helps to promote inner peace through food.
- This food is a gift of the earth, the sky, numerous living beings, and much hard and loving work.
- May we eat with mindfulness and gratitude so as to be worthy to receive this food.
- May we recognise and transform unwholesome mental formations, especially our greed and learn to eat with moderation
- May we keep our compassion alive by eating in such a way that reduces the suffering of living beings, stops contributing to climate change, and heals and preserves our precious planet.
- We accept this food so that we may nurture our brotherhood and sisterhood, build our Sangha, and nourish our ideal of serving all living beings.
Source: Savor by Thich Nhat Hanh and Dr. Lilian Chueng