Thursday, January 8, 2009

How to create magic in your life this year


The New Year has arrived. It's time to snuggle and cuddle. To make new wishes; to renew, recharge, refresh and revise. It's that time of the year once again, when every one of us look forward to at least some changes in our lives. We make resolutions that we will lose weight, learn at least one new skill, worry less, exercise more, control our anger and kiss fewer frogs...

With the advent of a new year, new hopes are born, and we secretly wish that this year magic would happen; our life would improve, we will have more money, more success, better career, new house.

We hope that in this New Year we will finally find our true love, and meet our soul mate. Finish writing that book. Start a new business. We look forward to new beginnings. We do all this, at the start of every NEW YEAR.

These prototype wishes have a certain magic to it, despite the fact that as the month meanders towards its end, the crispness of such wishes start to wilt under the dampening routines of life. Come February and we find that our life is more or less still lying into the same cut and paste monotony of last year.

Did I mention magic? Yes, I did in the paragraphs above.

Magic is something we all secretly wait for, no matter how hard-bitten and cynical we become as the passing years vanquishes our spirit. We hope that somehow, something or someone will arrive and turn that magic wand and our life will flip over.

But what we don't know is that we all have the powers to create magic in our lives.

To create magic we need to do two things:

  1. Believe in magic
  2. Be the magician of our life and bluff our way through life's inevitable difficulties.

We must know that the New Year is not a Genie that will bring us all that we have secretly been wishing for. We need to get inside that bottle and be that Genie ourselves.

How?

I would like to share with you my own personal formula that I have devised this year to create that magic in my life.

These are the set of 'decisions' I have made to create magic in my life. See if you can relate to some of these.

Magic number One:
I have decided that I will not make any resolutions. Yes I will not make resolutions. I will make 'decisions'. When we make resolutions we send a message to our subconscious self that something needs to be fixed there and involuntarily the brain gets into a defensive and procrastinating mode. If I 'decide' to do something then I send a powerful signal to my subconscious that I mean business!

Magic number Two:
I will use my words for power. I have learnt that there are three words that really steal away the power of performance from our personal dictionary. These words are: Could, Should, Would. I have realized that people use these words when there is no 'intent' and 'commitment' in their sayings. I am guilty of using them many times in my past when I wanted to slither away from a situation. This year I 'will' create magic by using 'can', 'will' and 'do' in my vocabulary more often.

Magic number Three:
I will eat right. The old adage 'Breakfast like a King' has more meaning than we care to admit. I have been guilty of skipping breakfast quite frequently and as a result when my blood sugar fell down I used to gorge on chocolates and caffeine to feel energetic and felt depressed that I am not losing weight despite skipping breakfast! Well, breakfast is the best meal we can give not just to our body but to our soul too. Start your day with a hearty and healthy breakfast and see how your energy levels go up.

Magic number Four:
I will be more positive. Life is inevitably hell and heaven both. To create heaven when are going through hell requires magic. From heartbreak, to career set backs to financial muddle, we all need this magic to help us sail through the messes. What makes me positive is practicing patience. I have learnt that everything gets right in the end. Being patient is being positive. I will practice more patience this year.

Magic number Five:
I have decided that I will pull out at least one day out of the week when I will switch off my phone, will not read the newspaper or watch the news channel. Well, I know that being a die-hard 'news and phone hater' it is easy for me to say this, and I do realize that it is difficult for many of you out there to do so. However, this is my personal 'detoxification formula' to stay away from 'negative emissions'.

Magic number Six:
Love. Love makes us a nicer person. It makes us feel complete. I believe that between birth and death there is just one meaningful happening and that is love. We may gather money, prestige, and power but if we miss on love, we miss on life. Love can be philanthropic, altruistic or romantic. Pick up your own mould and see how your life transforms. This year decide to fall in love and be in love. Love is the greatest magic of them all.

by Nazia Mallick