Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Reading Your Space

Every one of our life circumstances is a reflection of our inner state of Being. So it’s not surprising that incredible amounts of insight can be gained just by looking around our physical space!

Have a look at your current environment, just as it is right now. Your entire surroundings are reflecting your inner state of Being back to you, just as you are right now. I had tremendous fun doing this exercise this morning, contemplating the several boxes that, two months after moving, are somehow still sitting around upstairs. Here’s what I discovered:

Boxes that are open but not yet unpacked. Meaning: I’m almost ready to settle down after a year of whirlwind changes in life and business … but not quite. And since I’m tolerating the boxes with a surprising amount of equanimity, I must be willing to wait on settling down until I’ve created exactly what I want.

A bookshelf in mid-assembly. Meaning: I’m creating supportive structures. I have the concept and I’m in the process of implementing … but it’s not all built yet. It’s amazing how true this is for my business right now!

Everything is really, really clean. (I’m not a neat-freak … my housekeeper was here today. I’m still taking credit for the cleanliness!) Meaning: I am clear on what I want. No negative energy is interfering with my process.

There are disorganized places all over … in closets, on my desk, etc. Meaning: While I’m clear on what I want, I’m not sure yet where or how everything fits in! So true …

I have a surprising amount of water glasses everywhere! Meaning: Hmm. I’m going to take it as a nudge from myself to drink more water!

We can gain a stunning amount of insight into ourselves from our surroundings. If our space is disorganized, are our thoughts and plans in disarray also? If we’re constantly picking stuff up off the floor, are we dropping the ball somewhere in our lives … or feeling that way? If we have too much stuff and our closets are overflowing, have we outgrown other circumstances, such as a relationship or job?

Don’t second-guess your initial interpretations! You are trying to tell yourself something through your physical surroundings … and you are not going to be cryptic with yourself.

We create all the time, consciously or unconsciously. We do this so that we can experience ourselves though our creations in new ways – even if that creation is just the state of our home.

Can you “read” your space? What is your environment reflecting back to you?

Blessings,
Andrea